Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; acm has a deprecated constructor in /home/alabama/public_html/peacetakescourage/forum/includes/acm/acm_file.php on line 23

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; user has a deprecated constructor in /home/alabama/public_html/peacetakescourage/forum/includes/session.php on line 1423

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; bitfield has a deprecated constructor in /home/alabama/public_html/peacetakescourage/forum/includes/functions_content.php on line 1233

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbal has a deprecated constructor in /home/alabama/public_html/peacetakescourage/forum/includes/db/dbal.php on line 23

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; phpbb_hook has a deprecated constructor in /home/alabama/public_html/peacetakescourage/forum/includes/hooks/index.php on line 23

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; bbcode has a deprecated constructor in /home/alabama/public_html/peacetakescourage/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 23
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/acm/acm_file.php:23)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/acm/acm_file.php:23)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 668: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_content.php on line 668: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/acm/acm_file.php:23)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/acm/acm_file.php:23)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/acm/acm_file.php:23)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/acm/acm_file.php:23)
• View topic - Ageism

Ageism

Ageism

Postby Ava » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I didn't know where else to post this, so I guess I'll add it to random chat.

The discussion on religion got me pretty worked up, and not because of the topic, but rather because of something that annoys me quite often and that I receive quite often - condescending remarks about how I am "just young" or "just going through a phase." It's something that I get from conservatives and war hawks quite often. It's always the same gist - "you're just to young to understand," or, "when you get older you'll think differently." Obviously 10 years from now my thought and beliefs will have developed, but how does that make those thoughts any more legitimate than the ones I carry right now?

I guess what really brought this home for me was that I get these same comments from those who agree with me politically. Those same people were willing to praise me when I was 15 and sharing my views on the war, but will not respect my beliefs now if they vary at all. If it criticize Obama it tends to be "well you're just too young to understand that the political process is about making concessions," or if it's about religion (most recently here) it's "you're going through a phase that all young people go through."

To me this is pure hypocrisy. Someone may have been on earth longer than I have, but that doesn't mean that I haven't gone through experiences that they have not, or that my beliefs or opinions are any less valid than theirs. Look at the 2008 election for example. McCain was senior to Obama, but does that mean that his political opinions or goals were more legitimate? Does that mean that we should necessarily listen to him more than Obama?

I guess this is more of a rant rather than a prompt for discussion, but hopefully it'll spark something here. Or maybe i'm just being young and angsty. :wink:

P.S. I wrote this without my glasses (which I've lost and can't see to find), so excuse any typos. :gaah:
- Ava

"No matter what the fight, don't be ladylike! God almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies." - Mother Jones
Ava
Site Admin

Role:

Re: Ageism

Postby hwmnbn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:49 pm

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role:

Postby rightiswrong » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:38 pm

In the beginning, Man created God, things went downhill from there.
rightiswrong

Role:

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm

I've always considered you a cranky old lady in a young girl's body. :wink2:
Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Eric

Role:

Postby rightiswrong » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:21 am

rightiswrong

Role:

Postby English Nick » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:48 am

The quote the cons usually trot out is one attributed to Winston Churchill (though I'm not sure he actually said it), that "if a man is not a liberal at the age of 20, he has no heart; if he is not a conservative at the age of 40, he has no brain". There are two things I would say in response to this. Firstly, it assumes the level of social mobility that was around in the post-war era, when a man was expected to have amassed a certain amount of wealth for himself by the age of 40 (the use of masculine language is deliberate, as the same didn't apply to women until much later). The descent from democracy to plutocracy that had been planned since the New Deal, and which first came to fruition under Thatcher and Reagan, has largely put paid to that. Secondly, it equates protecting your own self-interest with "brains" and desiring to help others less fortunate than yourself with stupidity. Jesus, Ghandi, Mandela...what a bunch of idiots, eh?
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role:

Postby Ava » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 pm

- Ava

"No matter what the fight, don't be ladylike! God almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies." - Mother Jones
Ava
Site Admin

Role:

Postby hwmnbn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 pm

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role:

Postby rightiswrong » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:29 pm

rightiswrong

Role:

Postby rooby roo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:51 pm

sorry but...

When you get older, you'll think differently about this...

You should keep several pairs of glasses scattered around the house. When you get to be my age (which is maybe kinda slightly older than your wonderful, gorgeous, and VERY gracefully aging mother), you'll learn that it's also a good idea to keep a few other emergency pairs of glasses in locations where you KNOW FOR SURE you can find them, just in case you need to see well enough to find your other glasses. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Girl, this old age crap is just beginning. Take my word for it, you're gonna get older and blinder before you're ready for it.
Keep a fair sized cemetery in your back yard, in which to bury the faults of your friends.
--- Henry Ward Beecher

Protect yourself from poor quality, sometimes life threatening repairs.
Get the guide.
rooby roo

Postby zatoichi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Anyone who makes light of your viewpoint because of your age is making an ad homenim attack. As such you simply can assume that you won the argument.
zatoichi

Return to Random Chat