Just wanted to say hi!

Re: Just wanted to say hi!

Postby English Nick » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Jessica :welcome:
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby hwmnbn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:13 pm

English Nick wrote:Hi Jessica :welcome:

Who is Jessica? ... or is this a private matter? 8)
"I drank WHAT?!?"

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role: a drifter, the prime suspect with a perfect alibi

Postby English Nick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 am

Jessica (aka jasperbabbi) was someone who posted here claiming to be a new member from Slovenia, but then posted a bunch of spam. So I nuked her from orbit, but forgot to delete my welcome message. Sorry for any confusion caused.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Postby hwmnbn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 am

English Nick wrote:Jessica (aka jasperbabbi) was someone who posted here claiming to be a new member from Slovenia, but then posted a bunch of spam. So I nuked her from orbit,....

Good job, glad to see you're on the case! :thumbsup:

BTW, whatever happened to that other troublemaker chick who used to hang out here??

I think her name was Ava or something like that. :shrug:
"I drank WHAT?!?"

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role: a drifter, the prime suspect with a perfect alibi

Postby rightiswrong » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:49 am

hwmnbn wrote:
English Nick wrote:Jessica (aka jasperbabbi) was someone who posted here claiming to be a new member from Slovenia, but then posted a bunch of spam. So I nuked her from orbit,....

Good job, glad to see you're on the case! :thumbsup:

BTW, whatever happened to that other troublemaker chick who used to hang out here??

Last I heard she was causing trouble in the Big Apple.
In the beginning, Man created God, things went downhill from there.
rightiswrong

Role: Maître d'

Postby Ava » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:20 pm

hwmnbn wrote:BTW, whatever happened to that other troublemaker chick who used to hang out here??

I'm still around.. spying on you all from my dorm room. ;)

Just keeping very busy is all! I'm on my way out the door now but when I return I'll post a few photos from my scholars trip to Brazil over winter break. :)
- Ava

"No matter what the fight, don't be ladylike! God almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies." - Mother Jones
Ava
Site Admin

Role: bonafide smartass liberal feminist peacenik

Postby Rick345 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Ava wrote:
hwmnbn wrote:BTW, whatever happened to that other troublemaker chick who used to hang out here??

I'm still around.. spying on you all from my dorm room. ;)

Just keeping very busy is all! I'm on my way out the door now but when I return I'll post a few photos from my scholars trip to Brazil over winter break. :)

Nice to here you're doing well and Happy Joe Cain Day to you and you should have waited and went to Brazil for Carnival.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Postby English Nick » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 pm

BTW, have you seen the latest spammer trick? We've had a couple of new members recently who have been posting individual replies on the forums (usually something fairly banal like "wow, that's a really interesting post" or whatever), but putting links to some dodgy website as their sig line, instead of in the body of the message. Because the actual messages are inoffensive enough, I haven't actually banned them, I just disable their signatures. The usually go away once they see that their reason for being here has vanished.
English Nick

Postby rightiswrong » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 am

Good idea.
In the beginning, Man created God, things went downhill from there.
rightiswrong

Role: Maître d'

Return to New Members