a few :stupidpeople:

some :peace:

more than enough :love:

one or two :crazy:

one epic protester who just got out of :jail:

a pair of jerks went all :blahblah:

I gave a speech and got a lot of :clap:

and now that I'm home a part of me wants to :cooldance:
"Anti-Semitism is no longer a problem. It's raised, but it's raised because privileged people want to make sure they have total control, not just 98% control...[Jews are]...the most privileged and influential part of the population.

Noam Chomsky, Osama bin Laden's favorite American author.

http://www.actsofkindness.org/
CD

Re: I'm back from my first Occupy Walstreet protest

Postby rooby roo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Thank you for the specific details. :roll:
Keep a fair sized cemetery in your back yard, in which to bury the faults of your friends.
--- Henry Ward Beecher

Protect yourself from poor quality, sometimes life threatening repairs.
Get the guide. CRASH COURSE: A Consumer Guide to Collision Repair
rooby roo

Postby CD » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 pm

rooby roo wrote:Thank you for the specific details. :roll:

Rough roo

Someones not good at pictionary. :P
"Anti-Semitism is no longer a problem. It's raised, but it's raised because privileged people want to make sure they have total control, not just 98% control...[Jews are]...the most privileged and influential part of the population.

CD

Postby Rick345 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:23 pm

What was this group protesting about? Generally and specifically if you could determine... I'm very curious about the Occupy movement and realize it a very nebulous group... And from what you seen do you think they are on the right track or not?
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Postby Peace Takes Strength » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Let me guess. You railed against greedy corporations :twisted: then went to a Starbucks and used your iPad to post about it. #-o
"This is following through not just on a commitment I made during the campaign (Closing GITMO) but an understanding that dates back to our Founding Fathers, that we are willing to observe core standards of conduct — not just when it's easy but also when it's hard,"--Obama

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."--Obama
Peace Takes Strength

Location: Standing on the wall protecting those I care about from harm

Postby Rick345 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Peace Takes Strength wrote:Let me guess. You railed against greedy corporations :twisted: then went to a Starbucks and used your iPad to post about it. #-o

I think the 1% are out to screw the 99% of us but, I have to admit your post if funny....
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Postby CD » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Peace Takes Strength wrote:Let me guess. You railed against greedy corporations :twisted: then went to a Starbucks and used your iPad to post about it. #-o

Sorry to disapoint but I don't drink at starbucks, I don't have an ipad, and I reminded people our taxes were higher under rotten ronnie.

CD

Postby English Nick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Rick345 wrote:What was this group protesting about? Generally and specifically if you could determine... I'm very curious about the Occupy movement and realize it a very nebulous group... And from what you seen do you think they are on the right track or not?

Oh ffs, not the "what are their demands" meme again? Surely a reasonably intelligent 11-year-old can grasp the aims and focus of the Occupy Wall Street movement, as opposed to, say, the Tea Party, who are just angry about whatever the Koch Brothers tell them to be angry about.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby CD » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:32 pm

English Nick wrote:
Rick345 wrote:What was this group protesting about? Generally and specifically if you could determine... I'm very curious about the Occupy movement and realize it a very nebulous group... And from what you seen do you think they are on the right track or not?

Oh ffs, not the "what are their demands" meme again? Surely a reasonably intelligent 11-year-old can grasp the aims and focus of the Occupy Wall Street movement, as opposed to, say, the Tea Party, who are just angry about whatever the Koch Brothers tell them to be angry about.

"The economy went into a recession that continues to sock the middle class while the rich have recovered and prospered."

Sounds clear to me.

CD

Postby Rick345 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:16 pm

CD wrote:
English Nick wrote:

"The economy went into a recession that continues to sock the middle class while the rich have recovered and prospered."

Sounds clear to me.

OK and the Occupy movement is just an expression of frustration of the middle class? I thought and was hoping there would have been more to it than that. The rich never went under or at least the 1% never did they have enough money to isolate themselves from the recession in fact the recession probably boosted their relative wealth.

Yes, the recession does take its heaviest toll on the middle class and poor and there has to be a way to change that but, how do you educate people that while government may not be the answer to all problems certainly for the middle class and poor social security and universal healthcare are good ideas. More impotently how can you educate the rich that paying just 2% more in taxes won't kill'm and in fact may actually help them out. They would end up with a healthier perhaps happier workforce.

I can certainly understand why the Koch Brother's think the way they do but, it has always mystified me as to why maybe 50% of the 99% are against such programs. What is it that causes a large section of people to work against their own self interests?
Rick345

Postby English Nick » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:28 am

And on the same theme:

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby CD » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Rick345 wrote:
CD wrote:
English Nick wrote:

Sounds clear to me.

OK and the Occupy movement is just an expression of frustration of the middle class? I thought and was hoping there would have been more to it than that. The rich never went under or at least the 1% never did they have enough money to isolate themselves from the recession in fact the recession probably boosted their relative wealth.

Yes, the recession does take its heaviest toll on the middle class and poor and there has to be a way to change that but, how do you educate people that while government may not be the answer to all problems certainly for the middle class and poor social security and universal healthcare are good ideas. More impotently how can you educate the rich that paying just 2% more in taxes won't kill'm and in fact may actually help them out. They would end up with a healthier perhaps happier workforce.

I can certainly understand why the Koch Brother's think the way they do but, it has always mystified me as to why maybe 50% of the 99% are against such programs. What is it that causes a large section of people to work against their own self interests?

I was trying to simplify the purpose to the point that even a teabagger could understand it.

CD

Postby Rick345 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 pm

CD wrote:I was trying to simplify the purpose to the point that even a teabagger could understand it.

OK now give the complex version. I think understand what the Occupy movement is against and correct me if I'm wrong but, those in the Occupy movement are against the fact the the rich get away with robbery and murder and the poor and middle class are stomped on by the rich and never get a break. I know that to true I live it every day.

What I don't understand what are there plans to change this. As I've said several times what are they protesting for?

For example back when we were protesting against the Vietnam War we were protesting against the War but, at the same time we 18-19 year old's like me were protesting for the right to vote. In the vain hope if we had more political power we could stop the next war.

In the woman's movement we were protesting the fact that woman were second class citizens but, we were also protesting for an equal rights amendment and equal pay for equal work laws that would alive some of the real problems of being thought of as a second class citizen..

In the Civil Rights Movement people were protesting against the unfair treatment of blacks and where protesting for the repeal of laws that supported segregation, pool taxes, literacy tests in order to vote... To help alleviate at least some of those injustices.

Basically people protest against whatever they precieve as unfair treatment that's the easy part. People protest for laws and relations that will help eliminate or at least alive those injustices that's the hard part.

I guess I'm not making myself clear because I keep saying I understand the Occupy people are against economic injustice but, how are they going to change it? The answer I keep getting is they are against economic injustice.... What don't you understand.... This isn't merely being argumentative on my part I would really like some some solutions I really would.
Rick345

Postby CD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Rick345 wrote:
CD wrote:I was trying to simplify the purpose to the point that even a teabagger could understand it.

OK now give the complex version. I think understand what the Occupy movement is against and correct me if I'm wrong but, those in the Occupy movement are against the fact the the rich get away with robbery and murder and the poor and middle class are stomped on by the rich and never get a break. I know that to true I live it every day.

What I don't understand what are there plans to change this. As I've said several times what are they protesting for?

I know the movement is against violence, intimidation, and threatening.

I know the movement has to do with jobs, housing, and taxes in America.

I know the movement doesn't want a hiararchy or designated leaders.

I know the richest 1% are thought of as containing the enemy though not everyone in the 1% is thought of as the enemy.

I know there are many secondary issues that may or may not be central to America's problems i.e. universal healthcare, exporting jobs, ends wars, abolishing the federal reserve, banning GMO's etc.

I know financial districts, banks, and stock exchanges are considered to contain the enemy though not all who work there are considered the enemy.

And I'm sure there is more.

CD

Postby Peace Takes Strength » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited Zucotti Park in lower Manhattan on Wednesday evening and made the cleaning announcement, citing sanitation concerns from the park’s owner.

Brookfield Properties, the owner of the park, had outlined its concerns in a letter to the city’s police commissioner, Ray Kelly.

The company told police that it had received “hundreds of phone calls and emails” from locals complaining about "lewdness :oops: , groping [-X , drinking and drug use :shock: , the lack of safe access to and usage of the Park, ongoing noise at all hours, unsanitary conditions and offensive odors :lol: ,” NBC New York reports
"This is following through not just on a commitment I made during the campaign (Closing GITMO) but an understanding that dates back to our Founding Fathers, that we are willing to observe core standards of conduct — not just when it's easy but also when it's hard,"--Obama

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."--Obama
Peace Takes Strength

Postby CD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Peace Takes Strength wrote:New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited Zucotti Park in lower Manhattan on Wednesday evening and made the cleaning announcement, citing sanitation concerns from the park’s owner.

Brookfield Properties, the owner of the park, had outlined its concerns in a letter to the city’s police commissioner, Ray Kelly.

The company told police that it had received “hundreds of phone calls and emails” from locals complaining about "lewdness :oops: , groping [-X , drinking and drug use :shock: , the lack of safe access to and usage of the Park, ongoing noise at all hours, unsanitary conditions and offensive odors :lol: ,” NBC New York reports

Sounds like the RNC.

CD

Postby Peace Takes Strength » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:54 pm

CD wrote:
Peace Takes Strength wrote:New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg visited Zucotti Park in lower Manhattan on Wednesday evening and made the cleaning announcement, citing sanitation concerns from the park’s owner.

Sounds like the RNC.

Nope. Just New York liberals.

Peace Takes Strength

Postby CD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Peace Takes Strength wrote:
CD wrote:

Sounds like the RNC.

Id rather be forced to hang out with dirty hippies than child molesters like foley or the dozens of elected repugs who were cool with his persuit of children.

CD

Postby Peace Takes Strength » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 am

CD wrote:
Peace Takes Strength wrote:
CD wrote:

Sounds like the RNC.

Id rather be forced to hang out with dirty hippies than child molesters like foley or the dozens of elected repugs who were cool with his persuit of children.

I have no idea what Rep Foley has to do with Occupy Wall St, but if you want to hijack the thread it's easy to show that sexual predators exist on both sides of the aisle... shall we begin with the Kennedy's? Here are some others..

Democratic State Senator Dan Sutton of Flandreau, South Dakota accused of fondling a male page. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01966.html

Carl Stanley McGee, 38, prominent gay activist, assistant secretary for policy and planning and top aid to democrat governor Deval Patrick of Massachuttsettes, accused of sexually assaulting a 15 year old boy in a steam room at a Florida resort. http://www.bostonherald.com/news/region ... id=1072114

Bernard Vincent Ward, former chief legislative aide to Senator Barbara Boxer, self proclaimed "Lion of the Left" on bay area radio, admitted transgressions too numerous to mention. http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/ward_new.pdf

Davidson County Democratic Party Chairman Rodney Mullins resigned Thursday morning amid child pornography allegations, according to press secretary Jean Carter Wilson of the Davidson County Democratic Party. http://nashvillefiles.com/blog/archives/000808.html

Former Democrat Boston city councilor David Scondras is facing charges for attempting to lure a teenage boy over the Internet. Investigators said Scondras had several sexually explicit email exchanges with someone he thought was a 15-year-old boy. http://wbztv.com/topstories/Former.Bost ... 82093.html

Charles Rust-Tierney, 51, is a former president of the Virginia chapter of the ACLU from 2002 to 2005. On February 23, 2007, Rust-Tierney was arrested and charged with possession of child pornography. He pleaded guilty to one count of receipt of child pornography on June 1, 2007.[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rust-Tierney

Andrew Douglas Reed, 53, a North Carolina Democrat activist plead guilty to a page-long list of counts of 2nd-degree sexual exploitation of a minor. Court records in the Asheville, N.C., case said he admitted that he would "record, develop and duplicate material containing a visual representation of a minor engaging in sexual activity." http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=53070 Scott W. Ballo, a long-time spokesman for various Democratic political campaigns and a former communications director for the Oregon Economic and Community Development Department, was arraigned today in Marion County Circuit Court on two charges of encouraging child sex abuse (both misdemeanors) and one charge of official misconduct (also a misdemeanor), according to the court clerk's office. The charges relate to pornography allegedly found on Ballo's work computer when he was employed by the economic and community development department, according to a person familiar with the case. http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?p=9905

Mel Reynolds, House of Representatives (D-Il) convicted on 12 counts of sexual assault, obstruction of justice and solicitation of child pornography resulting from a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old campaign volunteer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Reynolds

Gary Studds Studds was a central figure in the 1983 Congressional page sex scandal, when he and Representative Dan Crane were censured by the House of Representatives for separate sexual relationships with minors — in Studds' case, a 1973 sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male congressional page.

Peace Takes Strength

Postby hwmnbn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am

Peace Takes Strength wrote:The company told police that it had received “hundreds of phone calls and emails” from locals complaining about "lewdness :oops: , groping [-X , drinking and drug use :shock: , the lack of safe access to and usage of the Park, ongoing noise at all hours, unsanitary conditions and offensive odors :lol: ,” NBC New York reports

In response to accusations in this this letter...

The Sanitation Working Group has been addressing the concerns in your letter all along. Beyond that, it has committed itself to carrying out a thorough and complete cleaning and to addressing all of the issues related to sanitation raised in your letter. The Working Group welcomes representatives of Brookfield to view the cleaning process and its results.

Our investigation has revealed that no permanent structures have been erected within the Park, nor have any actions been taken to damage the Park, its plantings or other amenities. Your letter raises concerns about potential water infiltration of the Park’s underground lighting and electrical hazards. However, based on a visual inspection recently conducted by our clients, there has been no damage to the lenses covering the underground lighting and thus there is no risk of water infiltration. Additionally, it is our understanding that there has been no electricity running in said fixtures for weeks now. Therefore, there is no risk of electrical hazard.

The Working Group will continue to bag and haul trash on a tight schedule. Trash has consistently been bagged and hauled to established collection points and recycling rules have been bagged and hauled to established collection points and recycling rules have been strictly adhered to. The Working Group has been using primarily 50 gallon, 3 mil. thickness contractor bags. Additionally, the Working Group typically has had between one and fifteen people sweeping the Park with brooms at any given time.

The Sanitation Working Group has informed us that the following activities are being carried out to further address these issues.

All hard surfaces within the Park are being scrubbed and/or polished
Garbage removal will be stepped up
Every item resting on the ground will be removed to allow for thorough cleaning; and
Power washing will be employed where appropriate or possible.

link

The disparaging and mockery of OWS was always predictable.
"I drank WHAT?!?"

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role: a drifter, the prime suspect with a perfect alibi

Next

Return to Current Events