The Obama White House is in trouble

The Obama White House is in trouble

Postby cyntino » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:06 am

Are you worried about Benghazi, IRS, ap news, NSA, or state department scandals?
"When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning and losing are equal"-Sun Tzu
cyntino

Role: PTC's Favorite Antagonist

Re: The Obama White House is in trouble

Postby Ava » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:58 am

The NSA issue has troubled me the most out of those, but I won't lie - I've been disappointed with Obama. I feel like a lot of the issues he campaigned on while running for office he forgot about or weakened about when getting into office. And the NSA issue is incredibly troubling. It wasn't OK when Bush did it and it isn't OK when Obama does it. I'm actually going to be posting a longer blog post about it on the front page of PTC in a few days (I've been traveling to see family since I just graduated from NYU and have some down time before heading to Duke for graduate school) and will share it on the forum after I do.

Also, despite our differing opinions, it's nice to see you back here Cyntino :hi:
- Ava

"No matter what the fight, don't be ladylike! God almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies." - Mother Jones
Ava
Site Admin

Role: bonafide smartass liberal feminist peacenik

Postby English Nick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Ava wrote:The NSA issue has troubled me the most out of those, but I won't lie - I've been disappointed with Obama. I feel like a lot of the issues he campaigned on while running for office he forgot about or weakened about when getting into office. And the NSA issue is incredibly troubling. It wasn't OK when Bush did it and it isn't OK when Obama does it.

Obviously you're a racist. According to Democratic Underground, anyway.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby cyntino » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Ava wrote:The NSA issue has troubled me the most out of those, but I won't lie - I've been disappointed with Obama. I feel like a lot of the issues he campaigned on while running for office he forgot about or weakened about when getting into office. And the NSA issue is incredibly troubling. It wasn't OK when Bush did it and it isn't OK when Obama does it. I'm actually going to be posting a longer blog post about it on the front page of PTC in a few days (I've been traveling to see family since I just graduated from NYU and have some down time before heading to Duke for graduate school) and will share it on the forum after I do.

Also, despite our differing opinions, it's nice to see you back here Cyntino :hi:

I certainly respect you for your consistency. Unfortunately, many liberals and conservatives have proven to be hypocrites. It feels good to be back and I'm very happy for you. I remember how happy you were to go to NYU and now you've already graduated. Time is flying by...
"When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning and losing are equal"-Sun Tzu
cyntino

Role: PTC's Favorite Antagonist

Postby hwmnbn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:08 am

cyntino wrote:Are you worried about Benghazi, IRS, ap news, NSA, or state department scandals?

What, me worry? :roll:

Benghazi was wingnut bullshit from the beginning. IRS was a Darrel Issa witch hunt that blew up in his dumbass face. AP and State Dept... whatever happened to those "scandals?" I can understand why you'd be concerned, the RW mediasphere just won't let it go so neither will you.

NSA seems to be the only real shitstorm and that is basically a result of the Patriot Act gone awry. That was a bi-partisan fuck-up after 911.

"Land of the free, home of the brave?!?" We got hit by terrorists and we shit our pants and passed the Patriot act. This surveillance was going on all along but it is just now coming to light. The shame and scandal is not with the politicians, it belongs to "We the People" for acquiescing. I don't see things changing much in the near future. We've made our deal with the security devil.
"I drank WHAT?!?"

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role: a drifter, the prime suspect with a perfect alibi

Postby MintPoison » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Ava wrote:The NSA issue has troubled me the most out of those, but I won't lie - I've been disappointed with Obama. I feel like a lot of the issues he campaigned on while running for office he forgot about or weakened about when getting into office.

It's easy to talk about the changes you'd like to see ideally in the country when you have no information or aren't in the know about what goes on behind closed doors.

Saying "I'll end the war" is a lot easier than actually ending the war. Decisions are best made when all the facts are present and you can't exactly give every Joe Blow who runs for president the keys to the launch codes before they even prove they have the best interest of our country in mind (whether we 100% agree with it or not).

The NSA bit is indeed troubling. What is even more troubling is what exactly our government is doing that makes one look at the NSA thing and go "that's the least of my worries at the moment." Which I think is what most people in government have done so far while simultaneously trying to take the focus off of what was revealed and put it onto HOW or WHO revealed it.
MintPoison

Role: Web Guru/ CEO/ Awesome

Postby Rick345 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:54 am

hwmnbn wrote:NSA seems to be the only real shitstorm and that is basically a result of the Patriot Act gone awry. That was a bi-partisan fuck-up after 911.

While I've been disappointed in Obama, I think everyone has but, your right the NSA is the most troubling problem we face today. The agency that evolved into the NSA has been around since the Truman years, but it did take the Patriot Act to turn its ears inward toward everyday Americans... That being said it was Carter back in '78 that signed into law the ways and means for the NSA to spy on people in this country...

While 9/11 was the catalyst for the Patriot Act the Patriot Act is a symptom of the nature of politics and perhaps human nature itself... Politicians like Preachers need two things to maintain rule over their flocks. The first the have to have a bogeyman and second they have to convince their followers they are the only one that can save the faithful from the bogeyman... When we were growing up the boogeyman was the Communists and thousands of politicians rose the the apex of power riding that bandwagon...

And terrorist at least politically are a much better scare tacit than the communists, first off terrorist actually attacked this country but, for politicians terrorists are a much better bogeymen... They can't be pinned down, so politicians can cry there's a terrorist behind every tree and around every corner. Just as Joe McCarthy seen a communist on every street corner today's politicians just substitute word terrorist for the word communist with equal effect.

However, back in the fifties we had real newsmen like Marrow that would take a stand and present people with the facts, in the sixties we had Cronkite, Woodward and Ellsberg, today the news is a for profit entity seeking not the truth but a larger market share.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Return to General Political Chat