Living Wage calculator

Living Wage calculator

Postby English Nick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 am

This website tells you the living wage for your US county or town: http://www.livingwage.geog.psu.edu/

If FDR had succeeded in passing his second bill of rights, all Americans would be earning this....
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Re: Living Wage calculator

Postby Rick345 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Well, I think the totals calculated are a little low. For my part of the country southwest Alabama it says single person could get along quite nicely on minimum wage $7.25 I don't believe it. Also it seems to under estimate the tax rate at least for my part of the world. In southwest Alabama sales tax is 10% and that tax applies to everything (EVERYTHING) you buy no exceptions. The calculator says a single person making $16,341 would pay $906 or a little more than 5% in taxes per year. If we just include FICA and sales tax, two taxes for which there is no escape that person pays 22-25% in taxes.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Return to The Economy