They're no fun at all

They're no fun at all

Postby quickiewle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:22 pm

I hope for all our sakes that The Big Guy has a better sense of humor than some of his followers.These folks' heads would explode if they saw the movie " Dogma" (which, FTR, IMO, is a must see).

From BBC News

Phones 4U mobile phone Jesus advert banned
Phones 4 U advert The advert was published just before Easter this year

A mobile phone advertisement featuring an illustration of Jesus winking and giving a thumbs-up has been banned.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said the Phones 4U advertisement was "disrespectful" to the Christian faith and must not be used again.

It investigated after receiving 98 complaints about the ad.

The company said it had not meant to show disrespect, but intended showing "a light-hearted, positive and contemporary image of Christianity."

The advertisement appeared on 21 April this year, just before Easter.

The ASA said the complaints had cited the cartoon depiction of Christ and the Sacred Heart, the use of the term "miraculous" for describing a mobile phone deal, and the fact that it was published on Maundy Thursday.
'Serious offence'

Phones 4U said that as soon as it received complaints, it had apologised and withdrew the advertisement. It also sent individual apologies to everyone who complained.

With the benefit of hindsight, and in the face of complaints from Christians, it "understood and regretted" that offence had been caused, it said.

The ASA welcomed this but said the advertisement had appeared to mock and belittle core Christian beliefs and was likely to cause serious offence.

The watchdog added that the advert must not be used again in its current form.

I hang with this dude.
You should too... he's cool. :D
" I'm not sure whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on,
or by imbeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
quickiewle

Role: punmeister ( you'll see)

Re: They're no fun at all

Postby English Nick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:27 am

The irony is that Kevin Smith's "Buddy Christ" was intended as a parody of a dumbed-down, warm and fuzzy version of Christianity.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby quickiewle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:57 am

He is warm and fuzzy compared to the Roman Catholic Church, which has had a historical tendency to be somewhat less than warm and fuzzy (ask Giordano Bruno et al about that).
More irony...
George Carlin, who had a prominent role in that movie, was a staunch atheist.
Alan Rickman was at his acerbic best in that... now I think of it, the whole cast was great, and I love Alanis Morrisette's tune at the end.
The above-linked article about this movie says that 'Jay' wore a t-shirt in one movie that said "Got Christ?" and had a picture of Buddy Christ.
I want one. :D
Addendum: this alone makes me wish I owned a car.
For, lo, I wouldst go among the multitudes saying, " Woe unto thee, for alas,thou hast not an image of our buddy on thy dashboard,"
At which point some Christofascist nutbar would key my car. :roll:
Mark Twain
quickiewle

Postby CD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:16 pm

quickiewle wrote:He is warm and fuzzy compared to the Roman Catholic Church, which has had a historical tendency to be somewhat less than warm and fuzzy (ask Giordano Bruno et al about that).
More irony...
Alan Rickman was at his acerbic best in that... now I think of it, the whole cast was great, and I love Alanis Morrisette's tune at the end.
The above-linked article about this movie says that 'Jay' wore a t-shirt in one movie that said "Got Christ?" and had a picture of Buddy Christ.

The film does a great job of exposing both superficial Christianity and the mean variety.

And some of the speeches it presents are great.
"Anti-Semitism is no longer a problem. It's raised, but it's raised because privileged people want to make sure they have total control, not just 98% control...[Jews are]...the most privileged and influential part of the population.

Noam Chomsky, Osama bin Laden's favorite American author.

http://www.actsofkindness.org/
CD

Postby quickiewle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:51 pm

CD wrote:
quickiewle wrote:He is warm and fuzzy compared to the Roman Catholic Church, which has had a historical tendency to be somewhat less than warm and fuzzy (ask Giordano Bruno et al about that).
More irony...

The film does a great job of exposing both superficial Christianity and the mean variety.

And some of the speeches it presents are great.

Agreed on both counts.
Mark Twain
quickiewle

Postby quickiewle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Well, looky what I found...
Smith is the WBC's latest target. I'll take that as an endorsement of Smith.

from tmz.com

Westboro Baptist Church
We're A Rabid Dog And
We're Going After "Red State"

0902_red_state_composite_exThe Westboro Baptist Church has set its hateful sights on the movie, "Red State" -- which will be released in theaters later this month -- calling director Kevin Smith "a God-hating clown."

The Church spokesperson says, "God hates fags, God hates fag enablers, therefore God hates Kevin Smith."

The movie puts the spotlight on a fanatical church whose members kill "sinners" -- many say it bares a resemblance to Westboro.

As for Kevin Smith -- he's unfazed by Westboro's promise to disrupt the movie release.

Smith tells TMZ, "Well Jesus told ME he loved 'Red State.' He said it makes up for 'Cop Out.' He also said neither He nor His Heavenly Father have any affiliation with the Westboro Baptist Church."

Smith has more to say about God ... "He loves all the 'Dark Knight' footage he's seen so far on TMZ."

Smith also wants Westboro to know, "'Red State' is available now on VOD."
Mark Twain
quickiewle

Return to Religion and Spirituality