Obama's cabinet

How happy are you with Obama's cabinet picks so far?

very happy
No votes
fairly happy
50%
very unhappy
No votes
fairly unhappy
40%
other
10%

Total votes : 10

Obama's cabinet

Postby Ava » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:03 pm

obama's cabinet sure is being heavily watched. i don't think the media has ever focused this much on a presidential cabinet before.
- Ava

"No matter what the fight, don't be ladylike! God almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies." - Mother Jones
Ava
Site Admin

Role: bonafide smartass liberal feminist peacenik

Re: Obama's cabinet

Postby hwmnbn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:13 pm

I think his entire presidency will be watched closely. If he handles it like he's handled his campaign and transition, he'll be so politically powerful, the fundamental changes he prescribed for our country will be inevitable.

Competency is a major factor when garnering popular support. If he can consolidate that support, there's no repug tactic that can obstruct. Hopefully, he'll come thru as a leader with a humanist progressive agenda. It was a long shot 20 months ago, but slowly it's evolving into a growing probability.

I'm trying to be realistic, but my optimism is winning out. LOL :sunny:
"I drank WHAT?!?"

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role: a drifter, the prime suspect with a perfect alibi

Postby quickiewle » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Seems to me that if Don Giorgio had been put under this much scrutiny he would have long since been hauled screaming to the Hague. On some level I wonder how we let the last 8 years happen ( and a second term? Hel-LOOO?). I wish it was enough to some progressives that we elected a man that TIME magazine called 'scrupulously honest'. I don't always agree with the O-man, but I like him and I trust him. It's been far too long since I felt that way.
" I'm not sure whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on,
or by imbeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
quickiewle

Role: punmeister ( you'll see)

Postby English Nick » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't blame him for appearing cautious. Bush may have said that he wants to be "a uniter, not a divider", but I believe Obama really means it. It'd be nice to have some progressives in his cabinet, though. The one fear I've constantly expressed (besides the Rethugs stealing the election again, which mercifully didn't happen) is that Obama would turn out to be another Blair, spending so much time sucking up to the right/corporations that he abandons the people who elected him. But Blair was always a conservative at heart, whereas I don't believe that of Obama. His entire life story belies it.
Last edited by English Nick on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby hwmnbn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Englishman in America wrote: His entire life story belies it.

That is what keeps me believing, fool that I am. LOL

Maybe just once, the good guys win. :wink2:
"I drank WHAT?!?"

-Socrates-
hwmnbn

Role: a drifter, the prime suspect with a perfect alibi

Postby quickiewle » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:04 pm

A quote from a lovely article I posted months ago...
"Sometimes kindness and wisdom triumph over fear and brutality "
Courtney E. Martin
I sense both in him. You know what, we didn't elect the frigging Archangel Michael. That's sort of the miracle of Obama... despite his extraordinary qualities, there's something so warmingly familiar about him, so human, so quintessentially American about him and his wife and kids (God, those kids rip your heart out and fling it on the floor :D ). Definitely not Shrub, who was so commonly perceived as arrogant. I love this Obama quote..."The fact that my 15 minutes of fame has extended a little longer than 15 minutes is somewhat surprising to me and completely baffling to my wife".
I think we scored bigtime.
" I'm not sure whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on,
or by imbeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
quickiewle

Role: punmeister ( you'll see)

Postby Rick345 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:25 pm

hwmnbn wrote:I think his entire presidency will be watched closely.
Competency is a major factor when garnering popular support. If he can consolidate that support, there's no repug tactic that can obstruct. Hopefully, he'll come thru as a leader with a humanist progressive agenda.

Well, we'll have to see if your enthusiasm is warranted. Obama maybe tainted by this new Gov. Blagojevich scandal. While Obama himself may not have known anything about Blagojevich shenanigans but, given the fact that the political shakers and movers in any state is a very small club I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of Obama's cabinet members or advisors had direct connections with Blagojevich and his people.

And while Obama weathered the Rev. Wright controversy quite well and was able to shrug off Williams Ayers connection which was all but non-existent to begin with if connections between Obama's people and Blagojevich exists, the right will have more than enough ammo to go after him. And since many of Obama's key people are from Northwest Chicago and Blagojevich is from Northwest Chicago it isn't unreasonable to assume they all had to rub elbows at least. Even avant supports of Obama may start to ask questions. And how many lives does this cat have anyhow?
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Return to Debate and Polls