The U.S. Motto: What do you think it should be?

U.S. Motto: What do you think it should be?

E Pluribus Unum (One from many / One from many parts
33%
In God We Trust
17%
Other (Explain)
50%

Total votes : 6

The U.S. Motto: What do you think it should be?

Postby Kenneth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am

Change the U.S. Motto? What's in a motto, anyway? It only represents the basic philosophy of a person or group of people...
And things can be allowed to continue as they are, for whatever reason: because we don't think they are worth the trouble to try to change, because we think they are impossible to change, or because we are satisfied with the way things are.

Personally, I think that if our country is to be all-inclusive, it must include those who some religious people label "heathen" in its motto. If the motto is "In God We Trust", that leaves out agnostics and atheists. (If it were even more specific - i.e. highlighting a specific religion, that excludes even more people - you know, the ones who are "worshipping false gods" according to the interpretation of the religion - or specific denomination of the religion of those in power)

Therefore, I think that "E. Pluribus Unum" is the better of the two, and can accept that as a motto, not implying exclusion of anybody.

However, yes, people can unite or become "One" for good reasons... and for bad reasons - such as to destroy, oppress, and exploit. Cases in point: Wall Street, the corporations, the rich....to destroy, oppress and exploit those weaker than them - like you and me, for example?

So, at the risk of sounding like a corny "hippie" motto which the four-letter "L-word" seems relegated to, I decided to cast an additional optional vote and would suggest "United in Love for the Planet". (Yeah, I know, impossible - "Love? That's for sissy, whiny, liberal tree-huggers!" And why should we give a doodly-hoot about the rest of "The Planet"?) but since I see love as really the thing that most unites people, I think that would be the most inclusive. It would imply a lot of things regarding attitude to the world outside U.S. borders, too. Of course there may well be those who would like it changed to "United In The War Against Terrorism". However, I think more people are agreed as to what love is than as to what terrorism is. :wink2:

What do you think?
Kenneth

Re: The U.S. Motto: What do you think it should be?

Postby Rick345 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:31 am

I'll have to give it some thought on what motto I would actually like to see as the motto of the USA be if this country was honest with itself the motto would be:
We believe it the golden rule; them that have the gold make the rules
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Postby English Nick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 am

"I got mine, Jack. Screw you".
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby Rick345 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:36 pm

English Nick wrote:"I got mine, Jack. Screw you".

Yep that one fits as well.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Postby Kenneth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm

As far as the "God" in "In God We Trust" is concerned, unfortunately, it seems that not everybody in this country sees that "God" as love but as another Biblical "God": the God of Excess. Of Extravagance. Of Outrageous Expectations. An excerpt from an article I found on the subject:

http://www.countercurrents.org/stewart231008.htm

In the Bible, "Mammon" is not a demon but simply the Aramaic word meaning "wealth" or "property." Sometimes it is translated as “money.” In the Middle Ages, in religious writings, in the fiery sermons of the fanatical Dominican monk in Florence, Girolamo Savonarola, and in literature, Mammon is personified as the demon of avarice and wealth.

For modern men as for medieval men Mammon is the personification of the excessive love of money and wealth. By extension then Mammon is the god of excess. Mammon demands that its worshippers strive toward excess, that they exceed the eternal limits of the Greeks. America has obeyed the abominable god’s commandments.

Excess! Surplus. Extravagance. Intemperance. Exceptionalism. Outrageous expectations. Exaggerated presumptions. Too much. Too big. Too fast. Too much of everything. Too, too, too….

Well, in that case, you could modify it to read it "In Gods we trust - although that may not be very reconcilable with Matthew 6:24 (can't serve God & Mammon), but then again, there's always John 10:10, where Jesus talked about having come that his followers might have life more "abundantly" - why not just add super-abundantly" to it? Hey, it's not serving Mammon, its just livin' abundantly, like you told us to, Lord! :wink2:

But seriously, IMO, some wealthy believers in a Deity are convinced that they are not supposed to trouble their mortal minds about where "abundance" ends and "excess" begins, and that if they have what they have, it was given to them by the hand of the Deity, and who are you to challenge that or say otherwise? Divine intervention, like Pat Robertson's explanation of why God "punished Haiti... for makin' a deal with the Devil".

But I end where I started: Does everybody in the USA have the same idea of what "God" is? :?: I don't think so. I think a lot of people can more easily embrace the word "Love" because they see it as closer to their day-to-day existence, while God for a lot of people - including some believers - is seen as somebody/something distant from them.

I have a funny feeling, though. That you guys, Rick345 and English Nick, may very well be stating a rather unpleasant truth :(
Kenneth

Return to Debate and Polls