What Issue is the Most Important?

What's the Most Important Issue for the Presidental Election?

Economy
50%
Iraq
17%
Terrorism
No votes
Health Care
11%
Foreign Policy
11%
Immigration
No votes
Environment
11%
Societal Values (Gay marriage)
No votes

Total votes : 18

What Issue is the Most Important?

Postby cyntino » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:38 pm

As the election gets closer, time moves forward, and it's time for another poll. According to some poll I just saw on t.v. the most important issue during this Presidental election is the economy. Iraq came in second with health care and terrorism less than 10%. So my challenge to everybody is to pick ONE topic that is the most important factor when deciding who the next President should be.
"When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning and losing are equal"-Sun Tzu
cyntino

Role: PTC's Favorite Antagonist

Re: What Issue is the Most Important?

Postby English Nick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:11 pm

cyntino wrote:As the election gets closer, time moves forward, and it's time for another poll. According to some poll I just saw on t.v. the most important issue during this Presidental election is the economy. Iraq came in second with health care and terrorism less than 10%. So my challenge to everybody is to pick ONE topic that is the most important factor when deciding who the next President should be.

Health care for me.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum – even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.” - Noam Chomsky
English Nick

Role: Royal pain in the arse

Postby Rick345 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:35 pm

The economy at this moment is the number one issue for me but, having said that if were to give a numerical value to issues in order of importance and 10 was the most important issue and 1 being I could care less about the issue... economy 10, Iraq 9, Oil prices 9, health care 9.5, environment 9.5, education 9.5, terrorism 7+....
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?", Mahatma Gandhi.
Rick345

Postby czech mate » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:38 am

As an outsider, I can only make passing comments on each issue:
Economy definately #1, as it has been for several presidential regimes. America runs on credit, that is borrowing from virtually every country on this planet, giving bonds as security. The USD is at an all-time low world-wide and still falling, thus dragging us all down with it. Unaccountable expenditure - especially in the fields of the Military, Defence, Reconstruction - are out of control, yet the ones who squander the most are the very ones telling YOU to tighten thier belts.

Iraq #2: Perhaps the most questionable war of all. For personal reasons Saddam had to be brought to justice, though under the de facto "War on Terror" prolonged the agony. He was a man that richly deserved the lack of justice he meted out to others.

Terrorism #3: The "War on Terror" has succeeded in furthering the "cause" and the ranks of the Terrorists. What is a terrorist?
Terrorists are spawn out of chaotic scenarios to achieve thier version of a utopia. Many of those that commit acts of terrorism are (deliberately kept) ignorant of the world at large by thier leaders who only plan, though not take part, thier deeds.
For me, terrorism is also going into a sovereign country, kidnapping a suspect, subjecting the subject to torture - sorry, aggressive interrogation - then when finding they've got the wrong guy, keep him detained as a "potential" terrorist.

Health care #4: Get this straight, social medicare is NOT the path to (your interpretation of) communism. It's all about looking after the well-being of your citizens with being blinded by a shining dollar sign.
NO health care program runs at a profit in most countries - this is kept bouyant by taxes. That after all is part of the reason you pay taxes. It is your taxes that pay the salaries and perks of the goverment, therefore YOU are THIER boss.

Foreign Policy #5: George Wanker Bush has regarded the other 95.6% of the world as being his personal door-mat for too long.
He has constantly displayed his ability to turn even Americas most staunch allies into sworn enemies, has rekindled a cold war that he keeps insisting is over, though acts as though its esculating.
The next president has a major uphill struggle to undo the damage, and the current administration should be held fully accountable for creating this catastrophy and not the usual sacrificial lambs to protect "the important".

Immigration #6: WTF is this an issue. Can no-one read the inscription on the dias of the Statue of Liberty?
What is a true American? To me the only true Americans (or thier survivors) were forced to live in badly maintained reservations a century ago. Other than that, all American citizens are either immigrants or the decendants of immigrants and it is this plurality that make America unique. Now some want to build a wall, thus creating thier own prison.

Enviroment #7: Too many overstated facts and figures on both sides of the argument here, but one thing is clear. The current mal-adminstration wants the rest of the world to clean up allowing them carte blanc to esculate thier pollution levels in the name of "American Industry". Meanwhile the corporate fat cat outsource to inflate thier already obscene profit margins.

Societal Values #8: I have no opinion on this. Freedom of the individual is the foundation stone of America.

Back to work........ :blankie:
"A State of War only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny"
Alexander Solzhenitsyn RIP
"I never forget a face, but in your case I will make an exception" Groucho Marx
czech mate

Role: Bureaucrat Bashing Journalist

Postby cyntino » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:41 pm

czech mate wrote:As an outsider, I can only make passing comments on each issue:
Economy definately #1, as it has been for several presidential regimes. America runs on credit, that is borrowing from virtually every country on this planet, giving bonds as security. The USD is at an all-time low world-wide and still falling, thus dragging us all down with it. Unaccountable expenditure - especially in the fields of the Military, Defence, Reconstruction - are out of control, yet the ones who squander the most are the very ones telling YOU to tighten thier belts.

Terrorism #3: The "War on Terror" has succeeded in furthering the "cause" and the ranks of the Terrorists. What is a terrorist?
Terrorists are spawn out of chaotic scenarios to achieve thier version of a utopia. Many of those that commit acts of terrorism are (deliberately kept) ignorant of the world at large by thier leaders who only plan, though not take part, thier deeds.
For me, terrorism is also going into a sovereign country, kidnapping a suspect, subjecting the subject to torture - sorry, aggressive interrogation - then when finding they've got the wrong guy, keep him detained as a "potential" terrorist.

Health care #4: Get this straight, social medicare is NOT the path to (your interpretation of) communism. It's all about looking after the well-being of your citizens with being blinded by a shining dollar sign.
NO health care program runs at a profit in most countries - this is kept bouyant by taxes. That after all is part of the reason you pay taxes. It is your taxes that pay the salaries and perks of the goverment, therefore YOU are THIER boss.

Foreign Policy #5: George Wanker Bush has regarded the other 95.6% of the world as being his personal door-mat for too long.
He has constantly displayed his ability to turn even Americas most staunch allies into sworn enemies, has rekindled a cold war that he keeps insisting is over, though acts as though its esculating.
The next president has a major uphill struggle to undo the damage, and the current administration should be held fully accountable for creating this catastrophy and not the usual sacrificial lambs to protect "the important".

Immigration #6: WTF is this an issue. Can no-one read the inscription on the dias of the Statue of Liberty?
What is a true American? To me the only true Americans (or thier survivors) were forced to live in badly maintained reservations a century ago. Other than that, all American citizens are either immigrants or the decendants of immigrants and it is this plurality that make America unique. Now some want to build a wall, thus creating thier own prison.

Societal Values #8: I have no opinion on this. Freedom of the individual is the foundation stone of America.

Back to work........ :blankie:

1. It's a fact that America's economy is larger than the next three nations combined, but it's probably a fact that America makes bad financial decisions. We are a society that likes to spend way more than we earn. In the long term we can probably do more with education and a massive mind-set change than government intervention. But in the short term we may be left with no other choice but to wait for a government bail-out (mortgages, rebate checks,etc...) #-o We also need to redefine what defines middle class America. No longer should Americans seek a career manufacturing or other blue collar job independent of at least a two year education. What I'm saying is in the age of Globalization technology trumps manufacturing. It doesn't matter if China or India manufactures as long as the technology comes from Silicon valley. I believe in a theory that was backed up by the WSJ which roughly states that middle class America should seek 2-year specialized educational degrees. Everybody knows a general associates degree isn't worth the money it costs but if you get a two-year techonological degree you could develop a beneficial skill that translates into a new middle class job in the 21st century.

3. Briefly, how would you fight the War on Terror deferently (aside from Iraq)?

4. I do support Obama's univeral health care plan, if it works they way he has claimed (ie it costs the country less than current costs for medicare and medicaid). But I understand the opposition too. For example, many believe cradle-to-grave entitlements breed complacency. A common example cited is the opposition from the French when employers tried to increase the work week, cut back entitlements, and fire employees without government approval. People who oppose universal health-care also oppose a larger government in general. Although I'm a conservative I think that battle has already been fought and lost. Let's face it the government doesn't really care about the 10th Amendment.

5. There have been a lot of world leaders who have criticized Bush for being arrogant, but what nation was a former ally and is now a sworn enemy. The most drastic change in relations has probably been with Turkey, but I'd hardly consider them a sworn enemy of the U.S.

6. I apologize about how I worded this issue. I meant America's illegal immigration policy (ie amnesty, border wall, virtual fence, etc...). I once wrote a paper equating anti-immigration sentiment with that of sedition, in the sense that both are about as un-American as you can get. We need our immigrants like we need our military. For example, India produces the highest number of foreign graduates in America in several fields. That fact infuriates many Americans but I think it's great. For one, many Indians take their degrees stay in America and eventually become productive Americans. It's the same concept inscribed on the Statue of Liberty. We should willingly take the brightest and best immigrants from foreign nations and educate them, especially if it leads to more intelligent Americans :twisted: . Seriously, in my opinion it's not a race or a religion that makes America it's an idea devoted to freedom.

8. Your neglecting the concept of mala in se and mala prohibida. Because this is a democracy the people have a right to define the laws they wish to adhere to, and the courts should respect that. If not, perhaps we the People should revoke the law that puts some judges on bench for life.
"When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning and losing are equal"-Sun Tzu
cyntino

Postby CD » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:52 pm

I wanted to put Iraq.

But I need work.
"Anti-Semitism is no longer a problem. It's raised, but it's raised because privileged people want to make sure they have total control, not just 98% control...[Jews are]...the most privileged and influential part of the population.

Noam Chomsky, Osama bin Laden's favorite American author.

http://www.actsofkindness.org/
CD

Postby czech mate » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:22 am

3. Briefly, how would you fight the War on Terror deferently (aside from Iraq)?

How do you define what a terrorist is? When do declare war on anything it implies a specific target which terrorism is most definately not. It is not a country. Devastate a country that you believe is a terrorist state will only result in the terrorist setting up elsewhere, with thier ranks swollen by those who have suffered the savagery of the war.
Kidnapping and "aggressive interogation" - TORTURE dressed up in lamb's clothing - also has a negative impact, both in creating a new terrorist and showing the dark side of your society to the world at large.
Each terrorist group has a different agenda, put them all together they will be spending 92% of the time arguing about the colour of shit and the remaining 8% on exchanging insults.
Military action only swells thier ranks and strengthens thier resolve. It doesn't matter HOW strong your Nation Security is, there will always be a way to bypass it, as has been tragically demonstrated too many times.
What must be addressed is to find the root cause of why they became terrorists in the first place and come some way to rectifying it. Not easy I know, but it worked many times in China's early history.
czech mate

Postby Peacemonger » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm

None of the above.

The No. 1 priority for me is rule by Constitutional law.

Yesterday the Supreme Court handed down a ruling that the United States government must respect habeas corpus. Long overdue, but nevertheless a welcome ruling. But it addresses only one instance of many blatant violations of not only the US Constitution, but federal laws and international laws as well. We still have to address violations such as torture, search without warrant, and many more. And for decades, maybe longer, the federal government has flagrantly violated the 10th Amendment by usurping powers that belong to the states. It is time -- actually way beyond time -- to start living by the Constitution which is the supreme law of the land.
A fool learns from experience, a wise man learns from history.
Peacemonger

Location: 1,773 km north of Mexico, 200 m east of Pacific, 5,676 km west of Atlantic, 615 km south of Canada

Postby czech mate » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Peacemonger wrote:None of the above.

Yesterday the Supreme Court handed down a ruling that the United States government must respect habeas corpus. Long overdue, but nevertheless a welcome ruling. But it addresses only one instance of many blatant violations of not only the US Constitution, but federal laws and international laws as well. We still have to address violations such as torture, search without warrant, and many more. And for decades, maybe longer, the federal government has flagrantly violated the 10th Amendment by usurping powers that belong to the states. It is time -- actually way beyond time -- to start living by the Constitution which is the supreme law of the land.

Bush is going ape-shit on this one. Shares in Jack Daniels soared by 20 points. :lol:
czech mate

Postby drowz1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:58 am

Until we get out of Iraq it's gonna be hard doing anything.

Didn't Obama once say something like that? I guess he's not planning on getting much done now.
I witnessed at least ten beatings in Chicago that were worse than anything I ever saw the Hell’s Angels do; at one point I stood about 20 yards off, while four cops beat a photographer who was rolling around on the sidewalk screaming “Help, Help!”

~ Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in America
drowz1

Postby Peacemonger » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 am

drowz1 wrote:Until we get out of Iraq it's gonna be hard doing anything.

Didn't Obama once say something like that? I guess he's not planning on getting much done now.

Yeah, maybe he did. But didn't Pelosi also say something like that a couple of years ago?
Peacemonger

Location: 1,773 km north of Mexico, 200 m east of Pacific, 5,676 km west of Atlantic, 615 km south of Canada

Postby peaceisactive.com » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Didn't Obama study and teach constitutional law?
We have the ability to live in peace.
http://www.peaceisactive.com
peaceisactive.com

Postby cyntino » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 am

Has anybody's answer changed?
cyntino

Postby Peacemonger » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 pm

My answer certainly has not changed. But by this point in time, I doubt very much that anyone even remembers what the Constitution is. Or was. Or even remembers hearing about it. Not Obama in any case. He seems to have forgotten all about the Constitution the day he left his position teaching it and entered the world of politics.

Back in the days when Obama was still a freshman senator and was tapped for the presidency, my first impression of him was Mr. Clean. But that all changed when he started campaigning in earnerst. I remember reading the transcripts of his speaches to AIPAC and how he shamelessly sucked up to the israelites. I remember how he said he would expand the war on Afghanistan, and his threats on Iran.

And most of all I remember a young woman who knocked on my door one afternoon long before even the primaries were held. She asked me if I knew of the aspirations of Barrak Obama, the "fresh new face" in town, and if I would like to hear more about him. And I remember thinking that if this silly woman could be campaigning for a wanna be tyrant like Obama, I already have a lot more information about him than she obviously possessed.

And you know something? I was right. Obama is a worse tyrant than Bush ever dreamed of being (although not the simpleton that Bush was/is). In a three-way runoff between Bush - Obama - Mussolini, I would choose Mussolini first, Bush second, and Obama last. (Keep in mind, Musolini is at least already dead, more than can be said for the other two tyrants).
Peacemonger

Postby cyntino » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Peacemonger wrote:My answer certainly has not changed. But by this point in time, I doubt very much that anyone even remembers what the Constitution is. Or was. Or even remembers hearing about it. Not Obama in any case. He seems to have forgotten all about the Constitution the day he left his position teaching it and entered the world of politics.

Back in the days when Obama was still a freshman senator and was tapped for the presidency, my first impression of him was Mr. Clean. But that all changed when he started campaigning in earnerst. I remember reading the transcripts of his speaches to AIPAC and how he shamelessly sucked up to the israelites. I remember how he said he would expand the war on Afghanistan, and his threats on Iran.

And most of all I remember a young woman who knocked on my door one afternoon long before even the primaries were held. She asked me if I knew of the aspirations of Barrak Obama, the "fresh new face" in town, and if I would like to hear more about him. And I remember thinking that if this silly woman could be campaigning for a wanna be tyrant like Obama, I already have a lot more information about him than she obviously possessed.

And you know something? I was right. Obama is a worse tyrant than Bush ever dreamed of being (although not the simpleton that Bush was/is). In a three-way runoff between Bush - Obama - Mussolini, I would choose Mussolini first, Bush second, and Obama last. (Keep in mind, Musolini is at least already dead, more than can be said for the other two tyrants).

I have to say that I'm surprised. I thought most people on PTC would've supported Obama no matter what he did. I respect your opinion for applying equally to conservatives and liberals.
cyntino

Postby Peacemonger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 pm

cyntino wrote:
Peacemonger wrote:...

I have to say that I'm surprised. I thought most people on PTC would've supported Obama no matter what he did. I respect your opinion for applying equally to conservatives and liberals.

Thank you Cyntino. And I respect your opinion as well. It is not only PTC, though, it seems to be a very common hypocrisy.

I came to the US around the end of the previous millenium and had been here only a short while when the eleventh of September happened. It was that event more than anything else (it seems to me) that was the great catalyst in splitting the country into the pro-peace camp versus the anti-peace camp. As you no doubt know, I took the pro-peace stance.

For the next eight years I was active in the pro-peace community here in my town and made many friends among these local pro-peace folks. When the campaigning for the 2008 presidential kicked off, my first impression of Obama was favorable. But then, I started doing more research and realized that he was no friend to the pro-peace camp. Here on PTC as well as in my local community, the pro-peace crowd overwhelmingly supported Obama. This puzzled me, but I attributed it to their not doing their homework.

Soon after inaguration, Obama's true colors started coming out. (By that time, I had left PTC.) Expecting to see a huge falling out of Obama supporters, I was again puzzled by the continued support from those who identify as pro-peace. But this time, the dirty laundry is all out in the open so it can not be attributed to lack of doing their homework. No one could be oblivious to the atrocities being committed by Obama.

So where does that leave us? Strange as it seems, even though you and I are on diametrically opposed ends of the spectrum, I find we have more in common with each other than I have in common with the majority of so-called 'pro-peace' community.

Weird, huh!
Peacemonger

Return to Debate and Polls